You’ve spent time and effort getting your yard just how you want it, so it seems a shame you can’t make the most of the space in cool weather and after dark. An outdoor fire pit will allow you to get far more use out of your outdoor area. It’s great for spring and fall evenings when the temperatures aren’t quite high enough to spend hours out in the yard, or for any time of day in the winter.
We reviewed dozens of outdoor fire pits to identify the best of the best, comparing a range of factors including size, material, fuel type, design, ease of use, and average customer reviews on Amazon.
If you’re interested in creating an outdoors that is inviting and hospitable for your family and your guests, you may want to also consider The Best Garden Structures For Outdoor Decor.
We chose the Solo Stove Bonfire Fire Pit as our top pick after careful consideration of all our options. We love that it’s carefully designed to optimize airflow and increase efficiency so it’s easy to keep running, puts out a lot of heat, and doesn’t leave partially burned logs or kindling behind.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Outdoor Fire Pits
|Best Overall||Solo Stove Bonfire Fire Pit||4.7|
|Runner Up||Landmann Wildlife Fire Pit||4.5|
|Best Budget Buy||Landmann Bromley Fire Pit||4.1|
|Best Outdoor Gas Fire Pit||Outland Living Series Outdoor Propane Gas Fire Pit||4.7|
|Best Cast Iron Outdoor Fire Pit||Catalina Creations Heavy Duty Cast Iron Fire Pit||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Solo Stove Bonfire Fire Pit
Some fire pits can be a challenge to keep burning, particularly if you’re not used to open fires. The Solo Stove Bonfire Fire Pit, however, is designed impeccably so it does much of the hard work for you. As such, you can spend more time enjoying the company of your friends and family at your outdoor gathering and less time stoking the fire and rearranging logs.
The stainless steel construction is durable, long-lasting, and won’t rust when left outdoors. Not to mention it’s lightweight and since the stove comes with its own carry case, it’s relatively portable if you want to take it to a friend’s house or to the beach. Because it burns so efficiently, it produces little to no smoke.
The Solo Stove Fire Pit is an extremely popular option with great reviews from the majority of buyers. Before its official release, it raised $1.1 million on Kickstarter, which is a testament to its impressive design. If you want want of your own, it costs roughly $300.
Solo Stove Bonfire Fire Pit Key Features:
- The double-wall design maximizes airflow.
- Only leaves fine ash, making it easy to clean after use.
- Arrives fully assembled so no setup necessary.
Our Runner Up Pick: Landmann Wildlife Fire Pit
The Landmann Wildlife Fire Pit is the perfect option for animal-lovers. Featuring cut-outs of bears, moose, wolves, and more, it produces interesting shadows as it burns, creating an enjoyable ambiance. They’re not just for show, though, as each cut-out improves airflow to keep things burning.
It comes with a spark screen lid for safety when sitting close to the fire pit. There’s also a poker included to assist you in keeping the fire burning efficiently, plus a cooking grate so your outdoor fire pit can double up as a grill. The complete circle handle spanning the circumference of the pit makes it easy to move (though you should avoid moving it while it’s burning or still hot).
This fire pit is priced at just under $150, which we think is extremely reasonable when you consider its overall quality and attractive design.
Landmann Wildlife Fire Pit Key Features:
- Made to last from durable steel.
- The black finish minimizes the amount of cleaning you’ll need to do.
- Fire bowl is 12.5 inches deep.
Best Budget Pick: Landmann Bromley Fire Pit
Not everyone wants a huge or extravagant fire pit. If you’re looking for something small and subtle that’s still of good quality, try the Landmann Bromley Fire Pit. Its sturdy steel construction can last many years of use, while the back finish blends in with the ash and soot that may build up so it won’t look messy after use. The diamond cut-outs both look good and increase airflow for more efficient burning. It includes both a poker and a fire screen, both of which are useful accessories.
The fire bowl is just 7 inches deep, which does pose some limitations but still allows you to burn a range of logs and kindling, you’ll just need to replenish it more regularly. The 25-inch diameter is decent and large enough to warm a group. All this for less than $70 means this outdoor fire pit offers incredible value for money.
Landmann Bromley Fire Pit Key Features:
- The support ring makes the legs safe and sturdy.
- Cut-outs are mesh-backed to help keep sparks inside.
- Requires some assembly, but it’s simple to put together.
Best Outdoor Gas Fire Pit: Outland Living Series Propane Gas Fire Pit
Looking for an outdoor gas fire pit? We’d highly recommend the Outland Living Series Propane Gas Fire Pit. Measuring 44 by 32 inches, it may be a little large for some, but if you have a large family or regularly entertain friends in your yard, it’s an excellent choice. The gas flames come up in the middle, but there’s enough room around the edge to use this fire pit as a table with space for glasses and small plates.
The Outland Living Fire Pit is completely freestanding, running from a propane tank that’s hidden away in the base of the table. The espresso wicker finish looks great, plus there’s also a slate gray finish to choose from. You can buy chairs and outdoor couches from the same manufacturer if you want your garden furniture to match. Although the HDPE wicker is weather resistant, there’s also a cover you can buy to protect it from adverse weather conditions.
Outland Living Series Propane Gas Fire Pit Key Features:
- Emits 35,000 British Thermal Units (BTU) to nicely warm the area.
- Completely smoke free, which is ideal for asthmatics or anyone else who struggles with wood smoke.
- 8 mm black tempered glass tabletop looks good and is easy to clean.
Best Cast Iron Outdoor Fire Pit: Catalina Creations Heavy Duty Cast Iron Fire Pit
You can find some very durable steel options, but if you want an outdoor fire pit so rugged it could be passed down through the generations, choose a cast iron model. The Catalina Creations Heavy Duty Cast Iron Fire Pit is one such cast iron titan. It measures just under 30 inches wide and around 20 inches tall, so there’s plenty of room for logs inside, letting it burn for a good long time without too much attention.
The moon and stars cut-outs cast attractive shadows, adding to the ambiance of an outdoor gathering. The wire mesh spark screen is an excellent safety feature, though you can use the fire pit without the screen if you choose to. You’ll also receive a log grate and a screen lifting tool for your money. Speaking of money, this fire pit costs around $354.
Catalina Creations Heavy Duty Cast Iron Fire Pit Key Features:
- Ideally sized for building large fires.
- Comes with a storage cover to protect it from rain.
- Features handles on each side for easier lifting.
Who Should Buy an Outdoor Fire Pit
An outdoor fire pit is ideal for anyone who likes spending time a lot of time in their garden or who is prevented by cold weather from spending as much time out in their yard as they’d like. With an outdoor fire pit, you can sit outdoors on cold days while still feeling comfortably warm. You can also use a fire pit to safely burn papers or certain types of garden waste.
Important Features to Consider
An outdoor fire pit should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a fire pit for your garden:
- Fuel type. Traditional fire pits are wood-burning but you can also find gas fire pits that run from a tank or propane or natural gas. Each variety has its plus and minus points, so it’s important to do your research and choose which one is right for you. For instance, if you have a lot of wood or kindling around your garden, it makes sense to use a wood-burning fire pit. If you want a low-maintenance option with no smoke and little cleaning required, you may prefer a gas fire pit.
- Cut-outs. Wood-burning fire pits generally have cut-outs around the edges. These can be simple geometric shapes but are often more decorative, featuring stars or animals. These aren’t just for decoration, they also improve airflow to keep the fire burning.
- Construction material. Many outdoor fire pits are made from steel, because it’s strong yet lightweight and so easy to move around. Cast iron is even more durable but is also very heavy. Copper is an attractive and sturdy choice but tends to be expensive.
- Size. Check the overall dimensions of any fire pit you’re considering buying. Larger options generally emit more heat but aren’t always practical in small areas.
- Low smoke. Gas fire pits don’t produce any smoke but you can find some low-smoke wood burning options, too. This is a good choice if you like the idea of a wood-burning fire pit but don’t want excessive smoke.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are fire pits safe to use on decks?
Fire pits are generally safe for use on decks made from wood and other combustible materials, but we’d recommend double checking your chosen model before using it on a deck.
How much is an outdoor fire pit?
This varies depending on factors such as size, material, fuel type, and overall quality. You can find some small wood-burning options for as little as $50, whereas large gas fire pits can cost over $500.
Can you put a fire pit on grass?
Fire pits are likely to scorch any grass they’re sitting on unless you put something between the fire pit and the grass, such as patio slabs.
Can a fire pit be used under a covered patio?
You can use an outdoor fire pit under a covered patio, but the covered patio must have open sides to allow for proper ventilation. Natural gas a propane options are best under a covered patio because there’s no smoke and therefore no soot will build up.
Other Outdoor Fire Pits We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other outdoor fire pits. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best outdoor fire pits list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Steel Fire Pits
Catalina Creations Round Copper Colored Accented Cauldron
This affordable fire pit is made from steel with a copper colored finish. We love the moon, stars, and mountains cut-outs.
- 14 inches deep
- Includes spark shield
- Lightweight at just 8.8 pounds
Measuring 22 inches across, this compact folding fire pit is ideal for camping, beach trips, and so on.
- Comes with a spark screen and poker
- Can be used as a grill thanks to the cooking grate
- Easily portable with carry bag
Landmann Big Sky Stars and Moons Firepit
An attractive steel outdoor fire pit with moon and star cut-outs. It measures over 12 inches deep to give plenty of room for fire-building.
- Spark screen, poker, and cooking grate included
- Safety ring makes it easier to move
- Finished with high-heat sand paint
Pleasant Hearth Martin Extra Deep Wood Burning Fire Pit
Thanks to its square design this fire pit looks a little different from similar models, it provides plenty of airflow for efficient burning.
- Includes a spark shield for safety
- Chrome cooking grid lets you barbecue on your fire pit
- Poker doubles as a tool to lift spark shield
Sunnydaze Cauldron Outdoor Fire Pit
The rustic cauldron-like design looks great but its lack of cut-outs can lead to airflow problems.
- Comes with poker and fire screen
- Loop handles for easier moving
- 24- or 34-inch options available
Cost: $90 to $180
Sunnydaze Cosmic Outdoor Fire Pit
This large 42-inch fire pit has moon and stars cut-outs that improve airflow as well as casting attractive shadows, especially for nighttime gatherings.
- Black finish means less need for cleaning
- Rust-resistant finish
- Includes a spark screen and poker
Gas Fire Pits
An attractive square gas fire pit with an edge that can double up as a table for drinks. Emits 50,000 BTU of heat.
- Space underneath for a 20-pound gas tank
- Easy to ignite
- Uses lava rock in the center
Endless Summer Outdoor Propane Gas Fire Pit
This gas table fire pit looks amazing, with blue fire glass in the center and a stone-effect edge. Great for al fresco drinks.
- Simple push-button ignition
- Completely smoke-free
- Weather-resistant cover included
Endless Summer LP Gas Outdoor Fire Table
The wicker design and tile mantle combine to make an attractive table-style gas fire pit, not to mention it warms you with 30,000 BTU.
- Easy access to hidden gas canister and control panel
- Handy cover included
- Bronze glass rock in the center
Endless Summer Square LP Gas Oil Rubbed Bronze Fire Table
Another great option from Endless Summer that will make it feel like summer in your yard all year round. Similar to the above but with wood panel sides instead of wicker.
- Powerful 50,000 BTU burner
- Ceramic tile mantle
- Simple-to-use integrated ignition
Heininger Portable Propane Outdoor Fire Pit
With a 19-inch diameter and a 58,000 BTU burner, this is a compact fire pit that packs a powerful punch.
- Its portability makes it ideal for camping and tailgating
- Lava rocks included
- CSA approved
Like the Heininger above, this is a compact 19-inch gas fire pit that’s highly portable so you can use it at home or away.
- 58,000 BTU output
- Quality steel construction
- Safe to use during campfire bans
Copper Fire Pits
Catalina Creations Solid Copper Fire Pit
You can’t deny that this solid copper fire pit looks great. You can choose between options with 35- and 40-inch diameters.
- Includes a log grate, spark screen, and poker
- Strong wrought iron base
- Easy to assemble
Cost: $240 to $270
CobraCo Hand Hammered Copper Fire Pit
The extra-deep design gives you plenty of room to build fires that will last, while the 30-inch diameter is ample for most spaces.
- Uncoated to produce rustic patina over time
- Includes fire screen and cover
- Hand-hammered finish
Fire Sense Palermo Wood Burning Fire Pit
The genuine copper fire bowl stands on a sturdy and elegant support with a mesh fire screen to stop sparks.
- Comes with a poker that doubles as a tool to lift the screen
- Replaceable steel grate for longevity
- Includes a weather-proof cover
Global Outdoors Copper Deep Bowl Fire Pit
Its 26.5-inch diameter makes this outdoor fire pit large enough to warm a small group of people without overwhelming a smaller yard or patio area.
- Attractive hammered finish
- Includes a screen, poker, and PVC cover
- Internal log grate
Cast Iron Fire Pits
Esschert Design Low Profile Firepit
A heavy duty fire pit that includes an upper grate so can also be used as a grill for al fresco cooking.
- Basic rustic appearance
- Circular cut-outs improve airflow
- Measures 22 inches across
MagJo Rustic Cast Iron Wood-Burning Fire Pit
Since the bowl portion only measures 6 inches deep, this outdoor fire pit isn’t ideal for building large fires but its an affordable cast iron choice if you don’t mind putting a bit more work into keeping your fire going.
- 30-inch diameter
- Heavy-duty construction
- Handles make it easier to move
Sunnydaze Large Outdoor Fire Pit
This large 40-inch cast iron fire pit has a sizable ledge that you can use as a cooking surface.
- Straightforward assembly
- Bowl is 8 inches deep with an 18-inch opening
- Great for entertaining
Sunnydaze Outdoor Fire Pit Bowl
This is a similar option to the above but with a smaller 30-inch diameter and without the cooking ledge. Made from cast iron but comes in a steel or rust finish.
- Handles make it easy to move
- Simple to assemble
- Also available in 24- and 34-inch diameters