Whether you enjoy cleaning or you’d rather do anything else, you have to keep your hard floors clean and hygienic. A mop is the best tool to help with this task and a quality mop will make cleaning floors a breeze. Sure, mops might not be the most exciting things to think about but owning the right one will make your life easier and cut down cleaning time, leaving your free to do whatever you want.
We reviewed dozens of mops to identify the best of the best. We considered a range of factors including mop varieties, cleaning power, ease of use, and average customer reviews.
Following our extensive research, it was clear to us that the Turbo Microfiber Mop is the best mop on the market right now. Not only does it have outstanding reviews from existing users, it’s easy to use and maneuver on all hard floor types, and comes with two types of pads to tackle both light cleaning and heavy marks.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Mops
|Best Mop Overall
|Turbo Microfiber Mop
|Best Spin Mop
|O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop
|Best Budget Mop
|Quickie All-Purpose Cotton Wet Mop
|Best Spray Mop
|Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop
|Best Microfiber Mop
|MR.SIGA Professional Microfiber Mop
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Mop Overall: Turbo Microfiber Mop
Look no further than the Turbo Microfiber Mop if you want a mop you can rely on. This hugely versatile mop can be used either wet or dry. In wet mode, it’s great for washing floors like a standard mop, while in dry mode, it can pick up dust, hair, and other loose debris, as an alternative to using a vacuum. The handle and mop head is made from durable yet lightweight aluminum, while the two types of heads are made from soft microfiber cloth and a harsher scouring pad type fabric for tackling that caked-on dirt.
We love that the handle is extendable to make it easier for taller folks to use, plus it can rotate 360 degrees from the mope head, making it easier to get right into awkward corners to ensure your floors are spic and span. You’ll receive two of each type of mop head, plus they’re machine washable so you can wash them and use them again and again. The Turbo Microfiber Mop costs approximately $32, which we think is excellent value, considering its quality.
Turbo Microfiber Mop Key Features:
- Mop pads attach the the head using strong velcro
- You can wash the mop pads up to 100 times
- The lightweight aluminum design makes this mop less tiring to use
Best Spin Mop: O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop
Our favorite spin mop on the market is the O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop. The mop head can spin on the handle and when you pump the foot lever on the bucket, it spins round, wringing your mop out with very little effort on your part. Not only does this allow you to have better control over moisture levels when mopping so you don’t saturate your floor, it also better remove dirt from the mop when rinsing, so you aren’t “cleaning” your floors with a dirty mop.
The microfiber head is extremely absorbent, and excellent at mopping up all kinds of dirt and grime. Thanks to the mop head’s triangular design, you can get right into corners, so every inch of your floors are sparkling clean. Priced at around $30, you get plenty for your money, considering you’ll receive both the spin mop and compatible bucket.
EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop Key Features:
- Handle extends from 24 to 51 inches making the mop comfortable for people of most heights to use
- The splash guard helps avoid unwanted splashes while you spin your mop
- The mop head is machine washable, plus you can buy refills to replace it once it wears out
Best Budget Mop: Quickie All-Purpose Cotton Wet Mop
It can be a tough balance to find a mop that’s affordable but still cleans effectively, but the Quickie All-Purpose Cotton Wet Mop ticks all the boxes. The cotton head can clean the majority of dirt effectively, but has a built in scrubber segment for the toughest dirt. You can remove the head from the handle to wash it, plus you can buy replacement heads so you don’t need to replace the whole mop when the head wears out.
The powder coated steel handle is highly durable and extends from 30 to 48 inches, so you can adapt it to suit your height. What’s more, this mop is made in the USA, which is great if you prefer to support American-made products. Considering its quality, you’d hardly believe the Quickie All-Purpose Cotton Wet Mop costs just $10.
Quickie All-Purpose Cotton Wet Mop Key Features:
- Cotton head is machine washable for easy cleaning
- Infused with an antimicrobial agent
- Comes with a five year warranty for peace of mind
Best Spray Mop: Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop
If you hate lugging around big buckets of water as you clean your hard floors, the Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop might be the mop of your dreams. It has it’s own integrated spray bottle that you can fill with a diluted cleaning solution so you can spray it as and when you need it. This helps avoid saturating floors and means you don’t have a bucket of dirty water to contend with.
With four machine-washable microfiber heads included, you won’t run out anytime soon, plus you can switch them out during a cleaning session if one becomes too dirty. The 54 inch handle is long enough for most people to use comfortably and means you can easily reach under tables and into awkward spots. The whole kit, including spare bottles and microfiber pads, costs roughly $45.
Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop Key Features:
- Built-in scrubber lets you tackle tough areas of dirt
- Spray trigger isn’t battery operated, so you don’t need to worry about it running out of juice
- Mop is strong yet lightweight so it’s easy to push and maneuver
Best Microfiber Mop: MR.SIGA Professional Microfiber Mop
Want a durable and versatile microfiber mop? MR.SIGA Professional Microfiber Mop should be high up on your shortlist. You can use it for both wet and dry mopping. In dry mode, you can pick up loose dirt, dust, and hair, while wet mode is for true mopping. The mop comes with four rugged microfiber mop pads that clip onto the mop head to keep them securely in place. Each pad is washable and highly absorbent for effective cleaning.
Thanks to the 360-degree swivel action, it’s easy to get into tight corners and other awkward spots, so no part of your floors will be neglected. The pole is made from durable stainless steel and is extendable to suit users short and tall. Retailing at around $27, it offers excellent value for money.
MR.SIGA Professional Microfiber Mop Key Features:
- Double-sided mop pads are extremely versatile
- Great for all hard floors, plus cleaning windows, cars, and more
- Highly maneuverable and easy to use
Who Should Buy a Mop
If you have any hard floors in your home (which the majority of people do, at least in the kitchen and bathroom) then you should buy a mop. Other than scrubbing on your hands and knees, using a mop is the only way to get hard floors really clean, and we know which we’d prefer to do. Different buyers may have different needs when it comes to mops, depending on the area and type of the hard floors in their homes.
Important Features to Consider
A mop should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a mop:
- Type of mop. You can find a wide range of mop types on the market. You have your basic cotton string mops, spray mops, microfiber mops, spin mops, steam mops, sponge mops, and more. Consider which type of mop best suits your needs. For instance, spin mops are great if you like to be able to easily control the moisture levels in your mop, whereas microfiber flat mops are ideal for dry mopping and dusting, as well as wet mopping.
- Adjustable handle length. Many mops have handles that are adjustable in length. This makes it easier for you to mop if you’re taller or shorter than average, since a standard handle length is unlikely to suit your height.
- Head size. Check the size of the head on any mops you’re considering. If your mop head is too small, it will take longer to clean large areas of flooring, but if your mop head is too big, it might not get into corners easily.
- Bucket. Some mops come with buckets included. These may be integral to how your mop works, such as in the case of spin mops, or they may just be added extras.
- Scrubber. Look for mops with a built-in scrubber that can help remove any tough dirt that your regular mop head may not be able to shift.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you mop the floor?
Exact mopping techniques vary depending on the type of mop you’re using, however, you generally start with a bucket of water mixed with cleaning solution at the correct ratio (check the bottle of cleaning product to see how much you should dilute it). You then dip your mop into the bucket and wring it out (where appropriate). Next use a side-to-side or back-and-forth motion to clean your floor, stopping to rinse your mop head when it starts to get dirty.
Why is my floor still dirty after I mop?
You may not be rinsing your mop head often enough or changing the water in your mop bucket when it gets dirty, thus simply moving dirt around the floor, rather than cleaning it up. Textured linoleum flooring or untreated hardwood flooring can be tough to get clean, since dirt gets trapped in deep. In this case, you may need a mop with a scrubbing head to get up that tough dirt.
How often should you mop the floor?
This really depends on your household and how clean your like your floors to be. Some people are happy to mop floors in high-traffic areas once a week, whereas those with kids and pets may find they need to mop floors daily to keep them adequately clean.
Is it better to mop with cold water or hot water?
Hot water is more effective as it lifts tough dirt better and can melt grease and oils, plus it helps to kill some bacteria.
Other Mops We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other mops. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best mops list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your home. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
This sturdy stainless steel spin mop is built to last. Even the spinning part of the bucket is stainless steel, which is far more long-lasting than the usual plastic offerings.
- Comes with three washable mop heads
- Integrated detergent dispenser
- Dual spout bucket
The pedal-powered spinning system makes light work of drying off your mop head, leaving it with just the right amount of moisture in it.
- 360 degree pivoting head
- Gentle microfiber mop head
- Weighs less than 2 pounds
You can easily wring out this 360 degree spin mop hands-free so it’s cleaner and doesn’t saturate floors.
- Soft microfiber head
- Four color options
- Extending mop handle
With three mop heads and a bucket included, this is great for anyone who’s starting from scratch with home ware.
- Durable and rust-resistant stainless steel handle
- Built-in “decontamination board” in the bucket
- Machine washable mop pads
This mop mixes the benefits of a classic cotton string mop with absorbent microfiber technology for an excellent clean.
- Mop head machine washable up to 100 times
- Effective even with natural cleaning solutions
- Telescoping handle
The gentle scrubbing strips clean effectively but gently and won’t scratch hardwood flooring. It flips 180 degrees so you can use both sides of the pad.
- Mop wet or dry
- Machine washable mop pads
- Light and maneuverable
Thanks to its looped microfiber strings, this mop is extremely easy to wring out, so you can get it cleaner and drier than similar alternatives.
- Replaceable head lasts up to 6 months
- Super absorbent
- Ratcheting action
The two-grooved bucket that comes with this microfiber flat mop allows you to more easy rinse your mop and remove some of the water so your floors don’t get too wet.
- Suitable for wet or dry use
- 360 degree swivel action
- Comes with spare mop pads
If you’re looking for an affordable microfiber mop and bucket set, look no further. It’s great value and cleans well, too.
- Bucket helps clean and dry the mop
- Includes two microfiber mop pads
- Great for cleaning windows (as well as hard floors)
With two microfiber mop pads and one reusable spray bottle attachment included, this spray mop offers exceptional value for money.
- Made from durable ABS material
- 360 degree rotating mop head
- Battery-free design
The large spray tank can hold enough cleaning solution to get you through at least one cleaning session, so you don’t need to worry about regular refills.
- Three mop pads included
- Use wet or dry
Inexpensive, lightweight, and durable, you couldn’t want much more from a spray mop. That said, it does have some quirks, such as the spray tank being awkward to replace.
- Large tank
- Soft microfiber mop pad
- Ergonomic handle
This quality spray mop comes from one of the biggest names in mops and at an affordable price, too.
- Dual-sided mop head
- Machine washable pads
- Can also be used dry
You don’t need to replace any part of this industrial-strength mop any time soon, though you can buy extra heads when you need them.
- Tension twisted for durability
- Super absorbent
- Head is 100% cotton
A cotton mop that’s rugged enough for commercial use, but great for cleaning floors at home, too.
- Double looped to prevent fraying
- Mop head is removable and washable
- Sturdy metal handle
With its long wooden handle and cotton mop head, this is a durable traditional mop.
- Comfort-grip handle
- Snap-lock mop head attachment
- Machine washable head
Using this steam mop, you can clean and sanitize hard floors using zero cleaning products, just the power of steam.
- Microfiber mop pad included
- Integrated scrubber
- Comes with fragrance discs
An absorbent sponge mop with a built-in scrubber for those tough areas of dirt.
- Lever wrings out mop
- Microban antimicrobial protection
- Lightweight design
Considering it’s made by such a highly-regarded manufacturer, this steam mop is surprisingly affordable.
- XL water tank produces plenty of steam
- Swivel steering
- Dual-sided pocket mop pad
This commercial grade sponge mop is highly absorbent thanks to its honeycomb sponges, and has a built in scrubber to beat tough dirt.
- Sponge part is removable for cleaning
- Lever squeezes sponge to remove water
- Adjustable length pole